Saturday, November 19, 2005

Death Is Liberator

(Text of the Eulogy in honor of the late Vellyzarius I. dela Cruz, President, Aklan Press Club, By Atty. Ronquillo C. Tolentino, Vice Governor, Aklan Province, Kalibo Cathedral, November 12, 2005, Kalibo, Aklan)

Alfred Lord Tennyson, in his poem “Crossing the Bar”, has this opening stanza, thus:
“Sunset and evening star,
“And one clear call for me!
“And may there be no moaning on the bar,
“When I put out to sea.

Reflecting on one’s temporal existence, the penultimate stanza of the poem states, and I quote:

“Twilight and evening bell,
“And after that the dark!
“And may there be no sadness of farewell,
“When I embark,”
And finally, the last stanza on the probable meeting with one’s Creator, thus:

“For tho, from out our bourne of Time and Place
“The flood may bear me far,
“I hope to see my Pilot face to face
“When I have crost the bar,”

Rabindranath Tagore once said that death is not extinguishing the light. It is putting away the lamp because the dawn has come.
I remember the Ash Wednesday reminder of death when the priest says, “Memento homo, quiae est et in pulverem reverteris.” “Remember man, that dust thou art and to dust you shall return.”
Vellyzarius “Billy” Ilarina dela Cruz, writer, painter and outstanding journalist is dead. He has gone to a territory where death has no sting or victory and where God holds dominion over all.
I remember Billy. I first came to know Billy when, upon high school graduation from the Roxas Memorial School of Arts and Trades, he took up summer classes with me in United States and Oriental History as a requisite of his entry to college as all high school graduates of vocational high schools then have to complete two subjects – U.S. and Oriental History and Literature IV – before their entry to college courses.
I also remember Billy when he was publisher – editor of the Boracay Dateline. He asked me to contribute some articles which I did.
While I did not see so much of his outstanding art shows, I had occasion to read some of his literary works such as, but not limited, to Earth Glare, With Hope Undying and Poems in Praise of God. So with his other poems and Aklanon translation of the New Testament.
I remember Billy’s May 27, 2005 message as president of the Aklan Press Club when he said, thus: “We stand at the crossroads of our time, on the threshold of a great culture enveloping us. We called that media. It is an information tool of human resourcefulness for good or ill, when utilized wisely or irresponsibly”. Billy emphasized: “Each one in the media profession should be accountable for such responsibility trusted and entrusted to us, that it may bear fruit, for the betterment and good of society. Thus, we are here, marshalling our ranks, to respond to a higher and more dignified calling above the interest of self – the pursuance of ideals and vision of such great office.”
Death, it is said, is the liberator of him, whom freedom cannot release, the physician of him whom medicine cannot cure; the comforter of him whom time cannot console.
Daniel Webster, the great American orator and statesman said: “one may live as a conqueror, a king or a magistrate but he must die a man. The bed of death brings every human being to his pure individuality to the intense contemplation of that deepest and most solemn of all relations – the relation between the creature and his Creator.”
Death is the crown of life. Where death denied the poor man would live in vain; to live would not be life; even fools would wish to die.
We seem to have an erroneous concept of death. We picture death as coming to destroy; let us rather picture Christ as coming to save. We think to death as ending; let us rather think of life as beginning, and that more abundantly. We think of losing; let us think of gaining. We think of parting, let us think of meeting. We think of going away; let us think of arriving. And as the voice of death whispers “You must go from earth,” let us hear the voice of Christ saying: “You are but coming to me.”
Billy dela Cruz is gone – from earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, in sure and certain hope of the resurrection.
Indeed, there is truth to what the Roman philosopher and statesman Manilius said that the moment a man is born into this world, he begins to die. For the end is linked to the beginning. The cry of the babe at the crib leads to an inevitable path – the grave.
Billy dela Cruz has gone to the merry meadows of God. He has gone, leaving this world which is the land of the dying to the next world which is the land of the living.
The death of Billy dela cruz creates a vacuum which heretofore shall remain unfilled.
We grieve for his death. But we have the assurance that no man really dies. He continues to live in the memory of those whom he loves and those who loved him.
Death is the golden key that opens the palace of eternity. So it is for Billy dela Cruz who now rests in the loving bosom of his Creator.
To Billy dela Cruz’ dearest ones, his parents Mr. and Mrs. Roman A. dela Cruz (Tay Oming and Nay Juling), his brothers and sisters: Dr. Marlon I. dela Cruz, Hagbong I. dela Cruz, Sumra I dela Cruz-Rojo, Ma. Cortesa I. dela Cruz-Macahilig, Didecas I. dela Cruz-Tayco, Dr. Amihan dela Cruz-Laserna, his brothers and sisters-in-law, nephews and nieces, friends and relatives, I extend our deepest sympathy and condolence, and this prayer.

“Now the laborer’s task is o’er
Now the battle day is past;
Now upon the farther shore
Lands the voyager at last,
Father, in thy gracious keeping
Leave we now thy servant sleeping.” /MP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met "'nong Billy" way back when his sister, Amihan and I were classmates in medical school. As much as this response seems a little late, I still would want to express my condolences to the Dela Cruz Family, most especially to my very dear friend, who I have not seen since our Boracay trip after our medical school graduation. Please, if you may, let her know that I have been looking for her and would want to establish a connection with her again. Thank you. Maria Luisa "Witz" Baldomero-Concepcion, M.D.

Anonymous said...

Amihan, I am hoping that you get to read this message. please email me @ lbaldomero@aol.com