Tuesday, June 07, 2016

THE GOOD LIFE


THE GOOD LIFE
By: Megs S. Lunn

     “Everybody needs to forgive somebody.  Our willingness to give and forgive often reveals the depth, or limitations of our Christianity.” – Matthew Kelly
     I am sure anyone of you will agree that it is the most radical love ever, that God died for our sins.  The cross is the greatest manifestation of that radical love.
     When Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 18:21, “How many times shall I forgive 
someone who has sinned against me? Not seven times, but seventy times seven times.”
    
Now, that is too radical for us to fathom. There have been so many stories about generosity and forgiveness.  You and I have experienced it.  Either it benefited us or the other.  How does it feel to forgive someone that wronged you?  I tell you, even before they commit to that wrong doing, it is a  radical love already to forgive that person.  “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” (Matthew 5:44)
     
Do you believe in good karma?  I had this “Good Karma” column before, but good karma keeps coming, thanks God for keeping me on the ground!  Just a few weeks ago, I was just tempted to face someone who just did me wrong.  However, I consoled myself to stay calm and uttered the words, “Lord, forgive me for being impatient and control my temper not to get angry to this person.”  For days, I keep thinking about that person, not that I hated him for doing it behind my back, I don’t care about his presumptions of me because I do believed that everyone is entitled to his own opinion. 
  
   But I am the kind of person who can confront someone for the sake of peace.  Surprisingly, I got a call from the person just recently and he came up to me for help.  To cut the story short, he was served with what he needed and I have never confronted him.  He was forgiven before he even said a thing, I just so wish he knew what he did and the kindness extended to him, he can pay it forward.  To forgive and be generous is a radical love, you do not expect something in return
   
  Radical?  Yes.  But truly it can be done.  Nobody’s perfect, I know.  We still are learning to put in action the commandment of God, “Love your enemies.”  The hardest part is that, God is asking us, “When was the last time we prayed for our enemies?” Absurd?  Ha ha, don’t worry, you are not alone.  But again, yes, it can be done, too.  Try it.  Practice it.  For there can be no peace without forgiveness.
     As the Bible Scholars would say, “When we choose not to forgive and be generous, we turn our backs from God.”  The soul of the gospel is forgiveness and generosity.  “If you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you.” (Matthew 6:14)
     Let us pray.  Teach us, Jesus, to be generous with our forgiveness. Amen./MP

No comments: