Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Driving On The Roads And Streets of Beloved Aklan Province

by Gabriel M. Delfin

I like to drive around in our beautiful Aklan province. Yes, because while driving, I can see the beauty of the countryside, of our province. Then, I can also see our provincemates drive their own vehicles, as they drive their own way, freely.

Here in Aklan, I can drive on any lane, left or right, especially on our new four-lane roads or middle of the road and park anywhere even on corners. And when I get to any corner inside the town or on the highway, I can just proceed as I want to. That is, without stopping to look at either side, whether there are incoming vehicles or not. I can do what I want. Pagusto ako.

While running fast, I can drive very fast beyond the prescribed unposted speed limit, without any traffic Cop running after me. In fact, I can pass (overtake for you) any vehicle on the highway, left or right. That is without even respecting the other drivers’ rights. And that is, I can pass the other vehicles even it is about to pass, or overtake, another vehicle. Why? I consider myself, sometimes, like many others around here, king of the road. Who can match my abilidad on the road?

Well, there is really complete FREEDOM in our province of Aklan especially on our roads. When I say freedom, I can just do what I want to do. Pagusto-gusto ako.

There are “No Parking” signs. And in front of these road signs are parked motorcycles, tricycles, even expensive cars. And with traffic enforcers, tanod, or whatever they are called, standing behind the traffic signboard. But lo and behold, those traffic enforcers/tanods with their backs on those road signs could not see those parked vehicles. Visitors ask me, what are those signboards and road traffic signs for? For who are those? I just cannot answer the strangers who asked me those questions.

These are on streets inside the town. Be it Kalibo, New Washington, and Banga. Is Aklan really a free country?

And believe it or not, no one gets a traffic violation ticket, or apprehension, or whatever, for traffic violation. That means that apprehension is not in the language of the Aklanon traffic enforcers. No one enforces traffic rules. No, not the “volunteer” traffic enforcer. Neither does the police officer on the beat. Neither does the PNP traffic officers. 

And who directs traffic? The best spectacle maybe seen at the Kalibo-Banga-New Washington junction. There are a good number of traffic officers directing traffic with regular police officers behind them. But what is really happening? Some dance, others just keep on blowing their whistle continuously (I’m afraid their stomachs may be filled with air and…) They certainly entertain the public (the tourists?) Good entertainment really. Others just signal to go this way and that way. And what really happens? Drivers just do what they want. They disregard the ordered flow. Again, I’d say, there is complete freedom on our roads. 

I can even drive at full speed in front of police stations and schools. This is especially true for motorcycles. Without fear of apprehension for traffic violation. Are our police officers afraid to apprehend me (not just me really but other fellow Aklanons as well especially the “may kaya” or the “poderoso”) those occupying high government positions or those again, “may kaya”?

Disappointing Story

When finally I was apprehended and issued a ticket, I didn’t care. I was not afraid to pay the fine. A friend politician can always take my side (remember this is election year). A friend cop once told me a disappointing story. Once he apprehended a traffic violator, an influential person. A few days later, he was summoned by a town official (not a mayor). That friend police officer was scolded in the presence of the traffic violator.

He related to me he was made to return the confiscated driver’s license. My friend asked me, “who is the guapo police officer who’ll do again, apprehend a traffic violator and be scolded? Humiliated? Shamed? And do his sworn duty?

Sometime ago, a police officer was stabbed by an errant tricycle driver in one of our barangays simply because that driver was apprehended by that police officer for traffic violation. He was issued citation ticket. So the police paid for it, for doing his duty.

The highway road signs are just decorations. No one respects them. Example: the “no passing” or “no overtaking” signs. Government officials don’t see these, they just pass, or overtake, in front of these signs.

But I admire, really respect some police officers who religiously obey these road signs on the highway. I can vouch for this since I had the opportunity to hitch a ride with a police vehicle from a neighboring town to Kalibo. They are good examples to emulate. No, not our bigwigs. 

How about “smoky” vehicles? Can’t they be apprehended as well? Why?

When taking a public transport, a bus, or a non-aircon car and when following a tricycle, a car or truck, you eat and smell smoke in the process. Why? These vehicles ahead of you exhaust a lot of smoke. This is also true with trucks hauling cement. Cement dust flies all over. Who suffers? The poor riders following them and the residents living along the highway.

By the way, don’t our vehicles undergo smoke belching test before these are registered? Or when they renew their registration? What happens after they get their registration or renewal papers? They smoke again more profusely. Drivers tinker with some gadgets so that their vehicles become more smoky again, those badly maintained vehicles.

Do our education and local officials see the smoke all over surroundings of public and private schools campuses? Do they know that second hand smoke affects the development of the brain growing children (as research studies reveal)? Can our local and education officials see these? And if they have not seen these, what do they see? What have they done? Are they afraid to act, to do what should be done?

There are certainly lots to be done. And do it well, courageously with authority.

It seems that I have said a mouthful. Need I say more?  /MP 

No comments: