Thursday, January 30, 2014

Victims of the Haiyan Typhoon In The Philippines

It has already been two months since the powerful Haiyan typhoon swapped the Philippines. Yet, I was heartbroken when I saw the news on TV that the remains left from the catastrophe are still lying there. 

From that same news, I saw Korean soldiers doing a volunteer work to reconstruct schools and help the injured people. 

As soon as I heard about the typhoon that hit the Philippines, I knew that I needed to do something immediately. I gathered several enthusiastic friends and started a charity program to help the victims. Many students in our school participated willingly. Some friends save their pocket money that was originally for their snacks. One friend even gave his whole one month allowance. Soon, many teachers participated in the program as well. 

I suggested to my friends that it would be a good idea for us to send cards to wish the Philippines’ people a good luck. Even though we don’t know them personally, I strongly believed that our warm hearts will be heard and they will be able to overcome their difficulties. My friends also thought that it was a good idea and started preparing the letters. 

I was fortunate to meet Jasmine Lee, the current member of the National Assembly in Korea who is from the Philippines. She is the ‘first multicultural member of the National Assembly in Korea’ and is working very hard to organize aids to help the victims of Haiyan typhoon. Last year, Ms. Lee announced a resolution regarding commemoration to the casualties of Haiyan typhoon and reconstruction of the destructed cities. 

Even though she had a very tight schedule, Ms. Lee welcomed me warmly and suggested ways that I can do to help the Philippines’ people. She thanked many Koreans’ eagerness to help and hope that they will continue to do so.

Currently, it is estimated that there is approximately 8,700 Philippines workers in Korea. Many Philippines’ women come to Korea to get married with Korean men. Although there is still some underlying bias towards multicultural families, it is certain that they are a part of Korean society. When Korea war broke out in 1950, 7400 Philippine soldiers were sent to fight for us. The Philippines has been a friend to Korea. I believe that this friendship will continue.

Our dear friend, the Philippines, I hope to see all the students put aside nightmares from the typhoon and happily go to schools. 

Good luck, the Philippines! /MP 

No comments: