Thursday, May 24, 2007

An Actual Political Experience, Circa 2007 Election

By MEGS LUNN

Is it true that the more you go deeper into politics, the dirtier it gets?
When a person has a good value from the root and trying times come his way, can he be negotiated? The conscience will often dictate..."you are good and no need to get bad just for the sake of politics."
To a person who has principles in politics, this may be false. But if a person no matter how principled he may be, is there still the good in him?
Yes, politics can get dirty if allowed. The values learned and inculcated of one’s parents taught from the formative years and the past where one came from that made him the best person he is now in. There are still some politicians who had the heart and mind. No matter how the leaders behind convince him to do some dirty tricks, his values prevent him. This is where my admiration went during the May 14 election.
It was on that trying moment that my values were tested and challenged. Yet, no matter how bad can it be…there is that conscience which dictated me whether to go for it or just ignore it; let things flow, and let people judge.
Never in my mind, had I dreamt of being involved in politics. Until one day, I was surprised. I didn’t refuse the person whom I believed his battle cry and motivation. Though surprised, I was excited about the job. It was the most challenging job I ever had and never regretted every moment of it, until one moment in time, I was tempted to do something which in the very first place was not in my rule.
Hitting below the belt during election was no surprise though. It was with me when I myself was into the situation. And when I let myself hypnotized into doing it, it was the hardest moment I had, next to loosing a husband. Though so sorry for what happened, the damaged was done. Yet, with the kind of persons I worked with, they were so kind to accept my apology. One said, "tomorrow is another day, don’t repeat it." That was enough to melt my heart down and accepted that it was my fault for letting other people distract my way. Priest, friends came to the rescue and close friends and family consoled, too. With the kind of friends around me, the only words I said to them, were THANK YOU.
No matter how I consoled myself that it was strictly politics, still, I have the conscience. I still felt the ignorance of my action. Those were the trying moments that I lost my trust to a person whom I thought was an angel. Never be deceived by an angelic face, by a soft voice and a "holier than thou" camouflage of an evil.
People may be greedy of power, yes, it’s true. Yet, I would like to make clarification that, not all can be greedy. There are some politicians left, though in one party, has the best in him and is indeed, the right person to become a leader, our leader. The people may not understand him and the whole party, yet, a person can look thru his eyes if he is indeed, a true leader and not just a traditional politician. He might allow himself to be dictated once in a while, but he can control the situation and has the political will to act. There can be rules that are good, not for the people but rules for self-interest. Yet, the true kind of leader is the one who leads the people as a whole, not as an individual.
My experience in radio and television job gave me the opportunity to meet new friends; opened new windows of opportunities; got known the politicians very well; listened to them and learned the political scenery first hand from them; knew the real media people who really love and care our people and country as a whole. I met, knew and learned the kind of people whom I admired the most and whom I later lost trust. I had met people who expressed sincere appreciation.
I also learned that some people in the journalism practice are as greedy as some politicians, too. Not of power, but of attention; not of expose, but of money, not of news, but of commission. These and others they did during the last election fever.
At the same time, I knew people listens very well. They kept watch over me attentively. They observed with an open ears and eyes. They either supported me; dictated; mentored; advised; criticized; motivated and acted as nuisance.
For one thing, money talks in politics. Why people allow it? They said, because of poverty. People can accept a one time deal in exchange of three-year term of bad governance. But if we noticed, these are the people who belong to the low income population, the out of school youth and the illiterate. Politicians take advantage of them during elections. People in the middle and upper classes are wise voters with strong conviction. They are non-partisan. They choose the best among the best of the leaders and vote with conscience. Some may vote for their relatives. Blood is thicker than water but sometimes proven otherwise. There are also some politicians who turned around 80 degrees just before election, because of money. They betrayed a good leader in exchange for money, money that may last for one day in a sari-sari store. But the effect of it will last for three-years, or more. A BAD AND CORRUPT GO-VERNANCE will be the consequence.
Today, politics are not suited for emotional people, politician who have a "heart like a rock." But a leader must pass a sensitivity test. A stubborn politician and leader has no place in a democracy. They must be eliminated from public office. In the next election, people must vote, not those who hide emotion but those who are sincere, frank, committed, honest and capable. Hiding emotion is dishonesty and a betrayal of public trust. Let their lips say what their hearts feel and minds think. They must be transparent as public figures if not property. How can electorates choose if the candidates kept things in their closet?
Politics is popularity, relevance and acceptance of ideas proposed by certain candidates. For the electorates and the candidates, trust in GOD’S WILL. "What you do to the least of My brethren you do it to Me." /MP
Note: 1st pic is the author with re-elected Governor of the Province of Aklan - Hon. Carlito Samson Marquez (face too haggard though- one hour before the proclamation) and the 2nd picture is with re-elected Representative of the Lone District of Aklan - Congressman Joeben T. Miraflores...cheers to success the day before the election)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

The electorate have spoken. We hope they did after considering all issues.

Now the electorate have expectations. These are expectations based on promises made during the electoral campaign.

This paper featured in previous issues, with pictures at that, the signing of covenant to peaceful elections by all candidates. The covenant was led by the clergy and the media.

I challenge the same group of clergy and media will make the winning candidates sign in writing their (i.e. winning candidates) covenant to good governance (objectives during their term from 2007 to 2010). I hope such objectives are in the SMART format -

S - Simple
M - Measurable
A - Achievable
R - Realistic
T - Timebound (before end of their term)

Like airplan pilots when they fly from one place to another, they have a flight plan to follow. A plan that shows where they want to be and where they are now. Similarly, our elected officials should know where they are now and where they want to bring their constituents by 2010. With the proposed covenant for good governance clearly stated and measurable, both our elected officials and constituents will enjoy a mutually beneficial progressive relatioship.

Otherwise, if the elected official does not or can not meet his objectives, the constituents have a basis for decision come 2010.

Continue the good work.

Regards,
Elmar M. Gomez