Thursday, May 24, 2007

Suroy-suroy Ta Sa Cebu


By CLOUDS S. LUNN *

Suroy-suroy is a Cebuano term which means in English to go around. And I went around, Cebu. This is also another way of making people feel and see Cebu thru this bandwagon "SUROY-SUROY TA SA CEBU" created by the Cebu Tourism Office. Travel packages are priced reasonably and cheaper for tourists to go around Cebu, its neighboring towns and barangays for a day tour or a 3-day package trip, assured by our very kind tourist guide, a practicing journalist from the Cebu Vice-Governor’s office, Tito Joel Pineda.


Megs & Clouds in front of the MalacaƱang Cebu

My first trip to Cebu was exhausting yet memorable and funfilled. My Mom went there to attend Toastmasters’ convention. She brought me with her as make up for the lost time when she was busy in the recently concluded May 14, 2007 election.
I was so excited when I arrived at Mactan International Airport. The city is the birthplace of my late grandpa. So, I was delighted to see the place, too. My Mom and I were a little bit lost when we arrived, it was her 1st return to Cebu after she and her parents left while she was small. And that, Cebu 30 years ago was far different from what it is now.
Oh well, during the first day of our trip, we were so tired. We stayed in our hotel to rest. The following 3 days of our trip was exciting and exhausting, too. I can’t stay walking too long though, thanks heaven for the taxis that were around. Speaking of traveling, my Mom reminded me that I will enjoy the trip by walking and savor the breeze of the city, its people and the historical places I can only see well when I am walking.
Our hotel is located at the Gen. Maxilom Avenue which according to our driver, used to be the mango plantation ages ago. Mandaue City is an industrial city. Lapu-Lapu City is the only city within the island of Mactan. The best part of Cebu city is the monumental sculptural tableau in honor of the people of Cebu. It is a tribute to all Filipino people and the wealth of our race.


The paintings at Casa Gorordo.

According to the marker of the tableau, it was the idea of the artist Eduardo Castillo and then Cebu City Mayor Alvin B. Garcia in 2001-2004. The pride, unity and cultural wealth of a race emanate from the people’s sense of self and history, from early Filipinos to the dawn of Spanish colonization. The revolution of 1896, the birth of the Philippine Republic is shown in this monument. The heroic contribution of the Cebuano people in the saga of events which transpired in the islands of Cebu are vital elements in the formulation of the nation we know today.
As a child and as my Mom described to me as well as a "visionary artist" at a young age, I am most interested in the arts and culture of the place. And so, here comes another historical place where I really enjoyed the paintings. Casa Gorordo at Fuente Osmena, where it was built in the mid-19th century, is the house of the 1st Filipino Bishop of Cebu in 1910-1932. Four generations of the Gorordo family lived in this house, the place was acquired in 1980 by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation. It was restored and later re-opened as a public museum declared by the National Historical Commission on September 24, 1991. There are some paintings displayed, too. The house is very beautiful, preserved woods and antiques of the Gorordo family are enchanting views.

The author in front of the Cebu provincial capitol.

Lapu Lapu monument in front of the Whitehouse look alike the Capitol of Cebu stands proudly and dauntless on the shores of Mactan. At Sto. Nino Cathedral, my Mom bought all candles of the street children just to help them increase their sales. It is the the place of the original Sto. Nino de Cebu. At Fort San Pedro, Mom negotiated to buy cheaper red attractive guitar. The Malacanang of the South in Cebu is near the port area and in front of the La-Independencia plaza; the Capitol that look-alike the Whitehouse Palace with a beautiful dome painting, too. Cebu city has wider roads. The skyline is oh! so beautiful! and the people are so warm and kind. I also noticed the smoothness of getting into the taxi after shopping. Unlike other cities, the taxi drivers are honest on their taxi meters. They return things that are left behind (my Mom’s so forgetful) and they take you around the city without fare overpricing. Food has a variety of choices and shopping was fun, too! Thanks to my being thrifty.
My Mom and I had a wonderful mother-daughter bonding moments with good friends and moments we were just alone. It was indeed a memorable and exhausting but fun-filled trip to Cebu!
(*The author is an 11-year old daughter of Melrose S. Lunn of Poblacion, Numancia, Aklan. She is a Grade VI pupil in June 2007 at Infant Jesus Academy, Kalibo, Aklan.) /MP

2 comments:

leojadenip said...

Hi Clouds,
Nice story huh! I wish we have more time to make suroy-suroy in other tourist spots here in Cebu. There are more beautiful places to visit here. Maybe next time, you join the 3 day suroy-suroy sa Sugbo (Cebu). Hope to see you again. Good luck and God bless.
Joel

TJ Magsakay said...

It Reminds Me of US Capitol Tour