Friday, January 05, 2007

EDITORIAL

LTFRB Chief Wishes To Be Boxing Promoter

By Alex Vidal

"I am just a poor boy though my story’s seldom told I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumble such as promises" SIMON & GARFUNKEL


The death of Bebot Zulueta, son of the late Oton mayor Lazaro "Nene" Zulueta, in later part of 1996, dashed to pieces the sports program Bebot and Land Transportation and Franchising Regulatory Board (LTFRB) Regional Director Porferio Clavel, Jr. had planned for the municipality of Oton and for the entire province of Iloilo .
"Our momentum was halted and I was devastated," gushed Clavel who brought Bebot, then in his early 50’s, to me to discuss the sports program several weeks before he died of heart attack while belting a Mat Monroe classic in a videoke bar. Bebot Zulueta was a former Oriental Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) featherweight titleholder and was reportedly undefeated in 28 fights with 28 knockouts! When the 1964 Tokyo Olympics silver medalist Anthony Villanueva turned professional, he avoided fellow featherweight Bebot Zulueta like a plague because Bebot was too strong for Villanueva even in the sparring sessions, Rod Nazario, Manny Pacquiao’s estranged business manager, told this writer during a trip to Bangkok, Thailand in 1999 where I witnessed the signing of contract between Nazario and Diamond Promotions boxing promoter Virat Virachachanawong for the then 19-year-old Pacquiao’s first stab at the world title—World Boxing Council (WBC) flyweight crown worn then by Chachai Sasakul, Virat’s protégé.
Clavel’s botched sports program was the ambitious Panay-wide boxing caravan which would have kicked off in Oton. Because Bebot passed away, Clavel decided to abandon the program and went to Bicol Region where he served as regional director of the LTFRB. When Clavel went back to Iloilo in October 2000, his passion for sports was rejuvenated. He then wasted no time and hooked up with veteran Ilonggo boxing trainers Alfredo "Pidong" Amistoso, Sr. and Johnny Estrella, current trainer of the "comebacking" former World Boxing Federation (WBF) welterweight titlist William Magahin.
Their collaboration produced three future gems—Ramon Tamon (flyweight), Ramil Acac (flyweight) and female boxer Josie Mandal (flyweight). Last January 2, Clavel sought my help to get a professional license as manager-promoter from the Games and Amusement Board (GAB). He also expressed strong interest to join the growing family of the World Boxing Foundation of which I am the supervisor for the Philippines .
Here’s my brief tête-à-tête with the LTFRB boss-turned-boxing patron: ALEX P. VIDAL: "Why do you love boxing?" PORFERIO CLAVEL: "It runs in my veins. My father (Porferio Clavel, Sr.) was the trainer of Bebot (Zulueta)." APV: "Was your father also a boxer?" CLAVEL: "(He was) not only a boxer but also wrestler and arnis player rolled into one." APV: "Did he try to train or influence you to be a boxer?" CLAVEL: "He did once. But when he saw me grimace in pain while being hit by punches thrown by my sparring partner, he pitied me and that’s how my brief boxing career ended." APV: "Aside from boxing, what else do you play?" CLAVEL: "I’m also into basketball and badminton. I am actually a true-blue sports buff." APV: "Do you have a stable of boxers now?" CLAVEL: "Yes. I have high hopes for my protégés Ramon Tamon and Ramil Acac He plans to make them join the professional rank this year, he said)."
Boxing promoter is one thing Aklan needs in sports development. Can someone fill the void? /MPmailto:madyaas_pen@yahoo.com



No comments: