Sunday, November 20, 2011

‘I don’t want to hear any fuss about the Pacquiao-Marquez III Fight Result’


by ALEX P. Vidal


LAS VEGAS, Nevada — "Tonight, boxing was rewarded. Two great fighters gave boxing something to be proud of. That’s why I don’t want to hear any fuss about the result (of the Manny Pacquiao versus Juan Manuel Marquez trilogy)," Top Rank CEO Bob Arum declared during a post-fight press conference at the Media Center in the MGM Grand.
 

Arum, 79, angrily reacted to accusations the majority decision victory of Pacquiao had been rigged. "As I walked from the ring going to this room (Media Center), I passed into a mob of angry Mexicans ready to lynch me," he bewailed. "They ranted that I stole the fight from them as if I have something to do with the judges’ decision."
 

Arum admitted the fight was "very closed" saying "there were rounds that could have gone either way." Arum said, "I had Pacquiao winning by seven rounds. HBO saw Pacquiao winner by eight rounds. There were those who scored six rounds for Pacquiao and six rounds for Marquez. But those were the scores that are very acceptable."

"I know that I won. There is no doubt about it," said Pacquiao, who was out shuttled in the first five rounds by Marquez’s dizzying counterpunches.


"I don’t know what else I would do to change the minds of the judges. Honestly, I am very happy with my performance. What I will do for the meantime is to sit down with my family and contemplate whether to go on fighting or retire," Marquez said. "Yes, we won like what the people were singing in the arena."


"I think I won this fight very clearly. I don’t know what happened. Everybody knows what happened. I’m very frustrated right now. The best judges are the audience."
 

Marquez (52-6-1, 39 KOs) said his decision to contemplate on retiring was influenced heavily by the result of this third fight against Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs).
 

Compubox showed Pacquiao connected 176 of 578 punches thrown after 12 rounds. Marquez connected 138 of the 436 punches thrown.

Pacquiao connected 59 of the 304 jabs thrown as against Marquez’s 38 of the 182 thrown. Pacquiao connected 117 of the 274 power punches thrown as against Marquez’s 100 of the 254.
 

Pacquiao had an average of 49 punches thrown and connected 14 per round as against Marquez’s 36 punches thrown with 11 connected per round. /MP

No comments: