Sunday, February 23, 2014

Aklan Love Story

Note: This column will be devoted for true love stories so that others who may read this may elicit good lessons from the experience of those who are ahead of them. A love story selected and published will be awarded one year subscription to Madyaas Pen or its equivalent in cash. The true names of the story sender maybe withheld. 

This story below is about a “balikbayan” who took his vacation in Aklan in 2013 to visit his family and attend the 2013 Kalibo Sto. Nino Ati-atihan festival. In the course of his visit, he found a young lady with whom he felt in love.  I wish you enjoy reading his love story below. 

Age Is A Mere Number

Have you ever seen or known a couple in whom one person is significantly older than the other? What are your initial thoughts about it? Well, think again, “the older man who as three decades more life experience should have known better than to let the younger lady get involved with him.” Dok Botoy please call me Annie and call him: Resty.

When I said, one day, I’ll have a beautiful love story to tell, a love story that I’ll be proud to share. That somewhere in this world, there’s someone destined for me. I’ll not search. He will find me! 

Just sharing. I am 28, single and hopeful. It’s never too late to be whoever I want to be. I’d love to live a life I am proud of and be happy. And who would ever know it could happen unexpected? In a blink of an eye, everything can change. Sometimes, one needs to look from a different perspective and he’ll see the view from the other side is splendid. 

Last year, January 2013, love birds were everywhere. Happy couples were just around the corners of the busy streets of Kalibo enjoying the Ati-atihan festival. I felt so alone, seemed like nothing was doing right. I sat down the plaza canteen and wandered, when someone caught me up. Resty smiled, I smiled. He shared a table and started talking about anything. He shared some events in his life. How inspiring those things! Soon we were laughing. I forgot about my lonely day after all. 

Resty is a balikbayan from the states having a short vacation in the Philippines. It just so happened we’re in the same place. I enjoyed the company of Resty, I call my VIP. He seemed to be fond of my company too. He was also welcomed in our home when Resty made the effort to meet everyone in the family.

Now you may wonder, what was the thing that brought us closer together in the first place? I must say it was his personality, he was really funny, cool, positive, so mature, and as we got to know each other better I found out that our personalities just clicked. We were mellow, low-key, down-to-earth people. When I met Resty, I had the impression of someone who never lost his vigor for life. A few minutes into conversation and my first impression was confirmed. Add to that are my fast growing respect and deeper appreciation.

Love Knows No Bounds

After a couple of weeks, Resty flew back to the US. Regular international phone calls and online chats led to courtship. Our conversations became more serious, thinking about his plans, pursuing a project and more. Our topics concerned endless future possibilities! Nothing like I am the luckiest girl in the world and the subject we had was the life I’ve always wanted to.

May-December Love 

Resty is a dashing man by the way. I am 28 years young. He is 29 years old according to him (joke). Later, I found out he is actually 58 years old but he looks much younger than his age. He is a family man with children based in the US. Seriously, I’m trying to be blissfully unaware but extra conscious and careful of his status. I like only to focus on things that I can contribute to be able to extend the brand of happiness I know.

I must admit, with his vast experience in relationship, made me feel unique, special, pretty, loved, appreciated and most of all, beautiful. I like the idea of Resty teaching or coaching me all the knowledge he had gained along the years, but turned out that in the end, he didn’t want to be my teacher but my batch mate. I developed connection with him. He made me feel I had no idea I was capable of having. He made me a new person, a better one, and I just wanted to be that for him. 

Safe to say, my extra care for him is more on accepting, respecting and embracing his world linking it into my world and together we will create a whole new world. Honestly, I don’t know what else there is to say.

It was just a short encounter. I still don’t know what I did to be so lucky to have this man in my life. I am so thankful though, in a limited time that we’ve been together, we have grown so much and I can’t wait to be with Resty again. /MP

No comments: