Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Aim To Shock The World, Beat Pacquiao, Vows Mosley

by ALEX P. Vidal

Sugar Shane Mosley (46-5-1, 39 KO’s) was underdog when he pulverized Antonio Margarito in the 9th round for the WBA super-welterweight crown at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California on January 24, 2009.

Asked recently by 15rounds.com’s Anson Wainwright if he sees his May 7 fight against Manny Pacquiao as similar to the Margarito rumble where "you were also the underdog and have something to prove", Mosley shot back: "Yeah, I aim to do it again. I aim to shock the world and beat Pacquiao. Once again I will prove the critics wrong."

Mosley was held to a 12-round split draw by Sergio Mora in his last fight on September 18, 2010 in Los Angeles. He lost to Floyd Mayweather on points prior to his fight against Mora on May 1, 2010. What will be his chances against the Filipino best boxer in the world pound-for-pound?  

"I believe I will do a lot better than I did in those two fights. My mentality right now is I’m ready to go and fight and give my 100 all," he promised. Despite his age, Mosley said, "I’m very motivated and happy to be able to box at this age. I’ve been boxing for about 31 years and I’ve fought at this level a lot. I’m willing to go in there and prove that I’m still one of the best fighters and fighting Pacquiao will prove that and be a great accomplishment for me."

SECOND ROUND

On the second round of his fight against Mayweather where he nearly scored an upset stoppage win: "A lot of times I don’t look back on them or think about them (The fights). But it was a pretty good punch, I just couldn’t at that point do what I needed to do to win the fight to KO him but I’ve been working very hard to make sure I close the deal next time I get a person hurt," Mosley explained.

He considered his two fights to Winky Wright as his most difficult. "Styles make fights but the most difficult I’d say Winky (Wright) earlier in my career but later on Floyd (Mayweather) was a pretty good defensive fighter as well," he said. Mosley said his proudest moment was "winning my first world title at lightweight against Philip Holiday."

Mosley grabbed the IBF lightweight title by whipping Holiday on a unanimous decision on August 2, 1997 in Connecticut, USA.

The 39-year-old Mosley considers the welterweight division as "good and exciting" saying "there’s a lot of great talent out there."

Wainwright: "You’re known as one of boxing good guys but we don’t know too much about you away from boxing. Can you tell us about other activities you are involved with? Also what are your hobbies and interests?"

Mosley answered, "Well I mean, I’m a family man, I have four kids. I like to play basketball, snowboard, bowl. I’m a very active person, I’m an outdoors person. I like to get out and do things. Boxing’s in my heart so I don’t stray too far from that. I’m involved in a boxing program and sponsor the kids in the community."

Mosley told his fans: "This is going to be the fight you don’t want to miss. I’m definitely giving everything I’ve got. You wont be disappointed so come and check it out or watch it on PPV Showtime. It’s definitely going to be a knock out. Also follow me on Sugar Shane on Twitter." /MP

No comments: