Saturday, August 19, 2006

Editorial

Once A Teacher, Always A Teacher

By Evelyn M. Kimpo

Looking back through the years since I have been a teacher, I feel a deep sense of self – satisfaction and fulfillment that on some points in their lives I have touched the minds and hearts of countless individuals and contributed something worthwhile to their well being and development. Since I have decided to become a teacher, my love for the profession has developed through the years and in spite of tempting offers of promotion as a school administrator, I chose to remain a classroom teacher.
While the title of head teacher or principal carries with it prestige and recognition, I still love to teach even if it means long hours of talking and explaining, of writing lesson plans and recording tests results, of making visual aids and bulletin boards, of constructing test items and other evaluation materials. I believe that to be an effective and successful teacher, one must work closely with her pupils. I feel I can help my pupils more when I have direct contact with them as compared to the limited ways I can do for them if I were a school head. I also feel that there is still so much more that I can offer and accomplish for them, which I wouldn’t be able to if I became an administrator. There are the challenges I met and the compensations I got for teaching for me is varied and enjoyable. It is enough gratification that my pupils benefited something from me that will help them in their future endeavors. But most of all is the simple reason that I really love to teach.
With my experience in the field of teaching, I have so many things to be thankful for. The profession has afforded me to discover and utilize my capabilities and potentials to carry out my job and develop my well being and sense of commitment. It has enabled me to overcome my weaknesses and brought out the best in me by focusing on my strengths and used them for my personal improvement. It has helped broaden my outlook and attitudes and put into perspective the varied roles I play and the responsibilities attached to them. Above all, it gave me the opportunity to serve and share my God-given gifts with others – my pupils as well as fellow teachers.
As a District English Coordinator, I am very well aware of these duties and responsibilities, so I take time to share what expertise I have with other English teachers within and outside of my own district, especially in lesson planning, demonstration teachings and in constructing test items like formative test, pre-assessment and year-end achievement tests. The greatest reward I got is when they keep coming back for assistance and advice. I feel that what I shared with them have helped them in their time of need. As English Coordinator, I get tapped as Emcee in school and community celebrations, organizer, lecturer, speaker and facilitator during in-service trainings and echo-seminars.
Of my 39 years in the teaching service, 32 of these have been spent in teaching English in the intermediate grades, particularly in Grade Six, I can honestly say that I can almost master the lessons for the grade. In the course of my lessons, certain situations give rise to incidental teaching that may be in the form of correct pronunciation, word meanings, correct usage, spelling and background information on certain topics. My knowledge of the subject matter comes in handy to enable me to make my pupils understand the lessons better.
In the course of my teaching, I learned to make instructions comprehensible through the simple basic language suited to the level of my pupils, devised strategies to make learning easy for them, and learned to introduce short cuts, clues, and patterns by which to master or remember the lessons. To make my lessons more meaningful, vivid and interesting, I make it a point to use varied instructional devices like games and puzzles for spelling, contests and group activities for other lessons. Through cooperative activities, my pupils learn to communicate freely and overcome their shyness. Even in the construction of bulletin boards and display areas, I always created a natural setting for my lessons to attract their attention and stir their imaginations.
Classroom management plays a vital role in the teaching-learning process. Pupils learn better and more when they are well-managed. At the start of the school year, my pupils and I agree on standards of behavior to be observed in class, what they and I expect from each other so discipline and management will not be a problem during class hours. Assigning group activities with each one in the group playing a role contributes to a well-managed classroom because each group is responsible for the performance of its members. Children perform well when they understand what they should do and the benefits they may gain from the activity.
Aside from the regular unit, summative and periodical tests given to the children, I always administer a diagnostic test at the beginning of the year to find out where to start the lessons, what objectives need to be enriched and which ones need focus and attention. Pre-test, mid-year and year-end tests are also administered within the school year. Besides these, I administer Speed and Comprehension tests in reading once a month to gauge the progress of the pupils’ reading ability. A pre-test in Informal Reading Inventory (IRI) is given in the month of August and a post-test is conducted in March to find out the reading level of individual pupils. The daily formative test is given to evaluate how well the pupils have mastered the day’s lesson.
Teaching English as a second language is not so much a problem when various tools are utilized to communicate ideas to the children. A good command of English enables me to switch from one synonym to another to make my meaning clear. Extensive use of visual aids like pictures, illustrations, real objects, graphs and the like help much to make the lessons interesting and enjoyable. Expressive gestures and facial expressions are also effective means of conveying ideas to pupils. I find it enjoyable and satisfying when through the art of questioning, my pupils are able to express their ideas on a certain point.
To successfully deal with other people and establish good relationship with them, one must experience peace and harmony within oneself. My experience as a Catechist and a member of spiritual organizations enabled me to broaden my outlook in life, changed my attitudes for the better and made allowances for other’s weaknesses and inadequacies. When things get out of hand, I take time to ponder over them, assess the situation and ask myself where the problem lies or where I went wrong. This enables me to correct myself and work to rectify my mistakes and move on from there. The best recourse I always take is to offer everything to the Lord and ask for guidance and assistance. These things always enable me to find peace and serenity within myself.
I am glad that I have established good relationship with my fellow teachers, superiors, friends and acquaintances. I have never figured in any kind of dispute or altercation, be it related to my work or to people outside my professions. I have learned to put myself in other people’s shoes and somehow I have maintained honest and agreeable camaraderie with them. To give others a chance to speak his mind, I listen earnestly, give encouragement and suggestions, offer help when they solicit assistance made me a friend to everyone I had the chance to associate with. The best proof of acceptance I can mention is my always having a position in any organization I am involved with both in school and the community.
After 39 fruitful years in service, I believe that I have helped a lot of children, fellow teachers. I enjoy good rapport and working relationships with colleagues and superiors. I feel fulfilled that I have given something beneficial to their lives and helped shaped their future. I am now 60 and I am grateful. God-willing, I still have five more years to serve the Filipino children, help fellow teachers, work side by side with fellow coordinators and immediate superiors. I hope I can still be of service even after I retire for I believe in every essence that "once a teacher, always a teacher". /MP mailto:madyaas_pen@yahoo.com

No comments: