Thursday, December 04, 2008

EDITORIAL

My GSIS Misfortune

by ERNESTO T. SOLIDUM


Two years ago, Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) prided or congratulated itself on the e-Card plus now fully utilized by its millions of members and clients. I was one of those who eagerly sought the hard plastic as business transaction could only be done through the said medium. At first, getting my pension proceeds from ATM needed assistance from a blue guard. As the months progressed, withdrawals were a breeze except for minor ordeal as queuing up the long line of Automated Teller Machines (ATM) users.


A standing policy of the GSIS is to validate the e-Card Plus once a cardholder reaches his/her birth month. This is done at its kiosk located at the ground floor of the Provincial Capitol building, Estancia, Kalibo, Aklan. Since my birthday fells on the first week of November, I joined a bunch of aging folks some hobbling on crutches, wheelchairs and afflicted with telltale signs of ailments at the facility. Successful validation hinges on being a computer literate or with standby personnel assistant. I noted that furious attempts resulted in temporary stoppage of machine showing non cooperation. When my turn came, I found to my dismay that the message was “Server busy”.


“How come?” It is hard to believe. This happened also not to a few would-be validators. Mr. RonieAbella, Officer In-Charge of GSIS Satellite Office, Kalibo, Aklan informed me that there is a wrong entry on my retirement data. This is also compounded by another problem that mid-month of November, I still could not withdraw my pension account. Fortunately after two personal follow-ups, I collected my money with the assistance of Mr. Abella.


However, my calvary didn’t end here. Earlier this month, I applied for a pension loan. Although this could be done through the kiosk, the machine was unable to process it simply because my e-Card plus was not yet validated. I promptly sought again the help of Mr. Abella.


“I’m sorry but your e-Card Plus has defective ID number,” Abella told me. Do I hear right that after all these months, I am a holder of fake membership card?” I asked. “Why bungle the data on an e-Card Plus for the second time? This is incredible!” I exclaimed.


Complaints about wrong entry, computation on retirement pay, maturity of loans and repayments against GSIS is long and tumultuous. It is a far cry from what Mr. Winston Garcia, its President and Chief Executive Officer portrays on the tri-media ads. That GSIS is service-oriented and operating at optimum efficiency. Adoption of e-Card Plus system thought to be functionally foolproof (and reliable) is highly questionable. Personal Identification Number (PIN) could inadvertently be known to somebody and using the e-Card Plus accounts could be withdrawn even after the death of the actual pensioner.


On the other hand, pension checks virtually remove all the hassles of finger printing and validation. Sent through the Philippine Post Office, pension checks are received by addresses at their full face value. Needless to say physically handicapped pensioners no longer need to waste their time, effort and money on processing, follow-up, withdrawals, and others at the Provincial Capitol or its branch office in Roxas City.


As a pensioner, I applauded the lofty vision, streamlined and well motivated bureaucracy of GSIS. However, it failed miserably to iron out important details especially the human aspect. Pensioners after dedicating the best part of their lives in the government service are like spent bullet shells. Not a few are diseases afflicted, physically and financially handicapped (life time pension is just (not) enough for medication and hospitalization). Only a few knows the rudiments of using a computer, much more an ubiquitous miniature electronic gadget known as the cell phone.


Millions of GSIS funds are frozen on non-performing assets as high as high-rise condominium building. Yet, it is ironic to see GSIS in Aklan perched atop a high rise building quite inaccessible to its patrons and the general public. Rather than rely on the larges and benevolence of provincial LGU, GSIS must develop its own capability, relocate its office convenient for everybody to access.


The Philippines as far as word processing technology is concerned trails behind other rich Asian neighbors like Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Computers as well as any other electronics gadgets are highly dependent on steady and reliable power source. Long term solution on power shortage remains elusive because of skyrocketing cost of imported oil and archipelagic nature of the Philippines.


This is my misfortune. How about other GSIS members and pensioners? Are you happy with the present GSIS services provided you?


Relevant question is why force this present generation of old folks to accept a “System” that is not dependable, oppressive and costly? Can it be vested personal interest on the part of GSIS Chief Executive Officer Winston Garcia or simply tunnel vision? An honest appraisal could yield beneficial, productive and progressive results. /MP

No comments: