Monday, December 26, 2005

A Moment In Crowded MRT

By Ambrosio R. Villorente

Manila Rail Transit (MRT) is a vehicle that travels over iron rails. I have ridden on the railroad trains for several times. I rode in the Bicol Express Manila-Legaspi for many times, in the Metropolitan in Paris, and New York City and the Euro Rail in Europe. I also experienced a long ride of trains in India from New Delhi – Madras and back to New Delhi.
And all those rides were very comfortable. There were so much room to move about. My Madrid, Spain to Paris, France was an overnight trip and I slept soundly while train was in motion. My trip from Lourdes, France to Rome, Italy, also a night trip was just like sleeping in my bedroom with all the comforts. My ride in the Bullet Train from Fukuoka-Kyoto-Fukuoka, Japan was so excellent. I did not feel we were moving even the train was running at a speed of 200 kilometers per hour.
I found the contrast in Metro Manila. It was 8:00 o’clock in the morning, December 12, 2005 at the Quezon Avenue station of MRT, Quezon City. I was going to Ayala Station, Makati City. But what a crowded couches! The first seven (7) trains just stopped and went. They were filled up with passengers. Nobody got out that nobody can go in. After 30 minutes of waiting, on the 8th train which passed me by, a few passengers got out. I got the chance to get in, squeezed myself inside. We stayed packed like sardines. “Mag Ingat Sa Mandurukot” is a popular and visible warning inside the couches. But all of us was rubbing skins with each other. One cannot sit but just stood straight.
We were so crowded in our journey. It was at Shaw Boulevard station, Mandaluyong where about one third of the passengers got out. I got a good deep breath and perspiring. That was my moment at MRT, Quezon City–Makati line. /MP mailto:madyaas_pen@yahoo.com



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ganun talaga ang buhay...charge to experience he he