Thursday, February 17, 2011

PACQUIAO-MOSLEY FIGHT PROMOTIONAL TOUR


My Power Is Natural: Pacquiao
by ALEX P. VIDAL
LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Insisting he never used illegal substance in his entire fistic career, eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao on February 12 told boxing fans at the MGM Grand here "my power is natural" during the Las Vegas leg of the kick-off press conference of his  May 7 fight against Shane Mosley.

"You have to believe me that my power is natural," the 32-year-old Pacquiao declared in answer to the question of a male boxing fan during a press conference at the Grand Arena which was opened to the public.

"I never used any medicine because my power is natural," he reiterated. "I am strong."
Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KO) and Mosley (46-6, 39 KO) hit this city, known as gambling capital of the world, for promotional tour of their mega fight to be held in the same arena which will end in New York February 14.

Pacquiao, meanwhile, assured boxing fans there will be no distractions in his preparations against Mosley despite his schedules in Philippine Congress.

He also nixed reports he is planning to run for Philippine president. "My job is to continue boxing and attend to my responsibilities in Congress and I have no plan to run for president," he said.

Pacquiao also dismissed reports that he would hang up his gloves soon.

"I will not yet retire after my fight with Mosley," he promised.

Even before his fight against Mosley, promoters were already starting to negotiate for his possible showdown versus Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Mosley, for his part, said his fight against the Filipino best boxer pound-for-pound "will make me shine and I will shine again."

The former protégé of the Golden Boy Promotion owned by his one-time victim, Oscar De La Hoya, refused to make predications but claimed he is unfazed by being tagged as underdog.

The two-hour press conference was arranged by Top Rank chief Bob Arum who announced that the May 7 event will be distributed at SHOWTIME Pay-Per-View.

"As everyone knows we’ve been in the land of Cowboys for our last two fights, but I live in Las Vegas and I thought it was time to come back to the place which is the capital of boxing. I think boxing needs Las Vegas and Las Vegas needs boxing. This is like boxing’s version of the Super Bowl," Arum said.

Some 3,000 fans watched the press conference and about 20 of them were allowed to ask questions. /MP

No comments: