Sunday, May 16, 2010

Entrepreneurial Farmer


Ambrosio R. Villorente

Gearing For Another Election
The reelection of Mayor Antonio Maming as Municipal Mayor of Banga in the May 10 election is a clear indication of the acceptance of the quality of services Mayor Maming has been rendering to the people of Banga. His election is also a clear approval of the projects Mayor Maming accomplished and those under implementation. He did not only win, he won the election with overwhelming majority votes.

His reelection will enable Mayor Maming to complete his unfinished projects and even start some new priority projects to be accomplished in June 2013. Mayor Maming will further show not only to the people of Banga, but to all the Aklanons and even those outside of Aklan how effective, how efficient and how productive his manage-ment style is as a municipal mayor.

The Banganhon people are discriminating, they know what are best for them. They know the kind of treatment they want from their officials. And they re-elected Mayor Maming with a big and comfortable lead.

About 36 hours after the May 10 election, I went to Banga to visit Arceli Guarino, my former colleague in the Agricultural Training Institute. She passed away on May 7.

But before going to Arceli’s house in Mambog, I proceeded to the Poblacion, specifically in the "Baeay It Banganhon". It is undergoing renovation which I thought to see what is being done of the building.

The wooden stair was demolished. I asked how to go to the second level. I was ushered to the stair at the backside of the building. It is a new stair of tiles not fully completed. The second level still needs more improvement. While observing, a fellow Banganhon told me "Mayor Maming is in his office". I might wish to come in.

I came and saw Mayor Antonio Maming on his chair. I found him eager to have another election. I immediately extended to him "my sincere congratulations for his re-election on last Monday’s election". He thanked and invited me to join politics. Our conversation runs: Mayor Maming: Mag intra ka man sa pulitika". I answered: "bag-o eang natapos ro eleksiyon mayor". Di sa masunod agud kontra kitang daywa?" Maming retorted. I answered "kamo eang, indi ako".

"Kon bukon it ikaw, di mag manok ka kontra kakon?" he suggested. "Kamo eang Mayor, bukon it mawron dang katuyo-an. Mapanaw eon ako", I replied and proceeded to the door. "Sigiha eang ring pag sipsip kay Governor", he further told me. With that, I replied "ho-o Mayor tongod ro mga pumueoyo hay kinahangean makasayod ko ginahimo it opisyales it gobiyerno". I left his office.

Going home, I felt happy with my conversation with Mayor Maming. Perhaps there is something in myself that will dignify the Mayor if I will be his political opponent for Mayor of Banga. I felt elated that he chose me to be his opposition for Mayor of Banga in 2013.

I regret however, that I rejected Mayor Maming’s proposal. Politics is not my field. I leave that to others. I love my country and people and I am serving them now in a manner and way I am familiar with.

One manner of serving my people and country is my continued advocacy of good governance in the public service. The public officials must serve the people with utmost honesty, integrity, accountability and transparency. I will report to the people the accomplishments of our public officials not only the positive but also the negative. I am a student of public administration and I deem it proper and necessary for all public officials to exercise public administration on all matters they act for the best interest of the community and people they have sworn to serve. /MP

No comments: