*Accomplishment Report presented by Atty. Ronquillo C. Tolentino, chairman, PRC, Aklan chapter during its 27th Biennial General Assembly on August 27, 2010 held at ACP Centerpoint, Poblacion, Kalibo, Aklan.
Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Aklan Chapter has a new chapter building constructed in the year 2005. Aklan Gov. Carlito S. Marquez, civic groups and individuals under the leadership of past chapter chairman, Atty. Tomas S. Raz and current chapter chairman, then Vice Gov., Atty. Ronquillo C. Tolentino funded the construction.
On the onset of typhoon Frank, the chapter served 66,487 families with 301,265 persons whose properties were devastated by the most abominable typhoon that struck the province of Aklan for the last 40 years. In line with this, a total of 603 shelters were constructed for the most vulnerable families by the PNRC-IFRC, in the municipalities of Kalibo, Numancia and New Washington. On June 20, 2009, the turn-over of shelters to the beneficiaries took place in barangay Aliputos, Numancia, Aklan. The honorable Senator and PNRC chairman, Richard J. Gordon was the guest of honor. With him were the PNRC Secretary General, Ms. Gwendolyn T. Pang, and IFRC Head of Delegation, Mr. Selvaratnam Sinadurai.
Despite being itself the victim of typhoon Frank, Aklan chapter continuously serves the people of Aklan through its basic services, to wit:
• Blood Services – a total of 2,225 units of blood were collected for the year 2008, 2504 units for 2009; and from January to June of this year 2010, it has a blood collections of 1,687. From 2008 to the 2nd quarter of 2010, a total of 6,416 units of human blood were collected. The number of blood unit served to patients is 6,552 equivalent to 3,276,000 CC (136 came from other Red Cross Chapters like Capiz, Iloilo and Bacolod – Negros Occidental Chapter)
• Safety Services – from 2008 to June 2010, a total of 1,137 individuals trained in first aid and basic life support.
• Red Cross Youth – Aklan is a recipient of international friendship program that served 600 less fortunate pupils in the remote areas of Aklan. The chapter was able to send ten (10) Red Cross youth and two (2) Red Cross Youth Advisers to the 2009 National Red Cross Youth Congress held in Manila Grand Opera Hotel, Manila. The chapter has trained ten (10) Red Cross Youth Peer Educators in HIV/AIDS peer education and conducted seminars with 951 youth reached.
• Community Health & Nursing Service – fifty eight (58) Red Cross barangay community health volunteers were trained in Community Health Intervention. Further-more, H1N1, HIV/AIDS Dissemination and Dengue Awareness Campaign was conducted by our trained Red Cross volunteer nurses in various communities.
• Disaster Management Services – the Aklan chapter is able to train 32 barangays in community based disaster management trainings. Our appreciation to all the municipal mayors who gave their full support to this noble project of the Philippine Red Cross.
• Social Services – a total of 115 clients were served by the chapter in emergency leave assistance program, family visit program, referrals and tracing.
• The organization of project 143 in the 12 towns of the province was conducted in the municipalities of Numancia, Makato, Tanglan, Ibajay, Nabas, Malay, Buruanga, Banga, Balete, Altavas, Libacao, and New Washington with a total of 212 barangays.
• Likewise, the chapter was able to register for Red Cross membership 15,669 individuals for 2008 and 12,381 for 2009 and January to June 2010 11,841. The Red Cross membership supplemented the financial resources of the chapter with its members being covered by an accident insurance for one (1) year.
Moving forward for a more responsive PRC Aklan, we continuously update training know how’s of the staff and volunteers, anticipating for the best service the chapter could always offer in times of disaster.
To date, the chapter is able to raise its 2008 budgetary requirements and oversubscribed its 2009 financial resources targets. For the second quarter of 2010, the chapter is able to achieve 50 percent of its financial resources targets. Hopefully by the end of the year, we can reach or surpass our financial target of 6 million pesos. It is anticipated that the Aklanons, cognizant of the Philippine Red Cross as an indispensable partner, will always be there to give their full support in all its undertakings. /MP