Tuesday, September 19, 2006

God’s Miracle*

* A speech By Dr. Felma Reloj – Dela Cruz delivered during the Kalantiao Toastmasters Club meeting on Thursday, September 7, 2006, at Bread & Butter Conference Room, Kalibo, Aklan.

A tumor in my head? Why me? I thought this thing called brain tumor is only for my patients and for the medical books. I can’t believe it. But the Brain Scan, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) showed it. I felt numb all over my body. It seemed I was floating in the air. I thought of my long departed husband whom I silently asked why this has to happen to me. My first reaction of course was denial, such that I thought of some other diseases, which do not require surgery. My subconscious mind told me that I have to submit to surgery. But my conscious mind refused.
On May 19, 2006, I, Dra. Cynthia Dela Cruz and the rest of the officers of the Medical Societies of Region 6 attended the 99th PMA convention at the Manila Hotel. They presented a fashion show showcasing the well-known pretty Piña fiber.
Upon reaching Manila, my daughter physician told me that she scheduled me for Brain Scan. She heard about my headaches and other related signs and symptoms. Just then, I realized that I really needed it. I was so busy with my daily grind of life that I forgot about myself because I believed that I was physically and mentally fit, except for some occasions wherein I have headaches relieved by analgesics. I attributed it to my personal problems and my busy lifestyle. And who among you haven’t have headaches?
After the brain scan, there was glaring in front of me on the negatoscope, a 5X6X2 cm brain tumor in front of my brain. I asked myself, how come? I didn’t have persistent headaches, vomiting or convulsions with that size of the tumor. Oh! I told myself, "the radiologist is not a consultant, maybe she is wrong, but I can’t deny what I’ve seen.
That night, I still attended the fashion show at the Manila Hotel. I told Dr. Cynthia Dela Cruz and Dr. Emmett Custodio about it and they thought I was joking. I cat walked through the stage wearing my modern blue piña gown with high heels without a hitch.
The following day, I underwent MRI, which delineated the actual size and location of the brain tumor. "There it is this which is even bigger at 6X7X8 cm. Gradually, my conscious mind was accepting the fact that there was really this tumor which was causing my headaches and vomiting. Once I slept the whole Monday after the Ati-Atihan with a double vision. All these I attributed to the mixed alcohol I took during the not completed Sto. Niño procession. I texted all my friends and relatives about it and they were shocked and can’t believe it, knowing me and my lifestyle.
I consulted the neurosurgeon with the brain scan and MRI results and his verdict was brain surgery at the earliest possible time. I begged for a month but he said, we couldn’t afford to wait that long because that very big tumor might push your brain and cause your sudden death. I bargained for two weeks because I have to go home to the province to prepare everything.
Upon arriving Aklan, I delivered the bad news to all my relatives and friends and asked them to pray for me. I attended mass at the Pink Sisters in Polo, New Washington and gave my petitions to the nuns and have actual blessing from a priest. I also talked to a priest and texted to a healing priest from Mauban, Quezon.
I went back to Manila on June 2 and I underwent medical clearance prior to my confinement at UST Hospital on June 10. Three days later, I underwent another delicate procedure called Embolectomy wherein a special drug is injected into my brain thru a small catheter inserted, in my inguinal area or "singit" for the purpose of blocking the blood vessels going to the tumor to minimize hemorrhage during the operation.
June 15, was my big day, my schedule for craniotomy or brain operation. I texted all my friends and relatives all over the world from Australia, Saudi Arabia, Austria, Canada, America and here in the Philippines from Mindanao, to Aklan, Romblon and Metro Manila that "I am going to the operating room now." I said, "Please pray for me and offer a mass for me." It took for the surgical team eight hours to remove the tumor, which became even bigger at 7X8X9 cm after removal. The cardiologist and anesthesiologist were by my side throughout the 8-hour life drama to keep me safe and alive.
I woke up at 7 PM at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). I recognized my daughters right away. All my five kids were with me during my two weeks stay in the hospital to give me all the supports.
Thank God! I survived the operation without complication which I was really afraid of like bleeding, stroke, coma or even death.
My 3-day stay in the ICU was really a big ordeal by itself. It is another topic to talk about.
I was discharged from the hospital on a wheelchair but stayed in a hotel with my kids to avoid visitors at our house in Quezon City. The hotel is just across a mall where we went eating, shopping and family picture taking, while I was being pushed on a wheelchair.
I went home to Aklan. I was met at the airport by my father and immediate family with tears in their eyes. I announced to my friends and relatives that I survived the very delicate operation especially to my 81 year old father who developed severe hypertension because he didn’t believe that I survived the operation even when I talked to him on the cellphone.
I stayed at home to rest, pray and read my long neglected reading materials. I went to church early in the morning almost everyday with a turban on my head because I was bald. Although I discouraged visitors, some still came and I thanked them for their prayers, telling them repeatedly of what I’ve been through.
Gradually, I was able to walk longer and got rid of my wheelchair after a few sessions with my physical therapist.
After my follow-up check up with my neurosurgeons, one and one half months post surgery, I was cleared to return to my usual activities. I have no complication, except for this dark skin, a side effect of my medication. So, I can now drive, go to clinic, go abroad, drink wine, dance ballroom and even dye my growing gray hair.
So fellow toastmasters, look at me, I’m still Dra. Felma Reloj – Dela Cruz you’ve met before. I am very proud to announce to you that I survived this very delicate brain operation because of a MIRACLE. God allowed this miracle to happen to me because first, my family still needs me and my five sons and daughters need a director in their life as father and mother; second, I have a lot of good things to do in my life; third, I have been a good and dedicated doctor for 32 years; fourth, I’m still young to die and to be disabled at age 56; and finally God did not allow me to die or being maimed because the whole world prayed for me.
This is God’s miracle to me. /MP mailto:madyaas_pen@yahoo.com

No comments: